Gen Z: Embracing a New Take at Work
The workplace evolution is taking place as the new generation (Gen Z) enters into the professional world, and a noticeable shift in work values, and culture takes place. Generation Z; the battalion born between the 1990s and early 2010s has a different perspective on the work-life balance. Contrary to millennial work culture which appreciates the traditional norms. This generation is against those norms and demands a more holistic approach to their professional careers. They focus on the impact their work will make on the world because that is how they get motivated or find value in their work.
In this article, I am going to describe how Gen Z is on its mission to eliminate the normalized work culture in organizations and wants to redefine the future of the workforce.
1) Moving Away From The Hustle Culture: The traditional culture promotes a hustle atmosphere where the employees are appreciated for working long hours at100% concentration. Often places prohibit the use of phones in the office so the employees don’t get distracted. However, Gen Z believes that burning yourself out in the office is deadly for your productivity and creativity and eventually leads to employees despising their jobs. If companies want employees to have work-life balance, they should create an environment that prioritizes their health and well-being. There is nothing wrong with giving your employees some time to charge themselves up by playing de-stressing games or letting off steam by taking a break.
2) Focusing on Remote Work: Companies need to understand that remote work is still work. The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the acceptance of remote and hybrid work, and Generation Z is enthusiastic about it. They desire flexible work arrangements that allow them to work from home or any other location that is most convenient for them. Remote and hybrid employment, according to Generation Z, fosters greater autonomy and productivity, and it corresponds with their desire for a more balanced and flexible lifestyle.
3) Pursuit of Purposeful Work: For Generation Z, having a feeling of purpose in their jobs is a must. They want to work for organizations that share their values, support sustainability, and have a positive social impact. Gen Z wants to work for firms that promote social responsibility and environmental sustainability. They will even prioritize this over financial success in some cases.
4) A Desire for Structure and Support: Generation Z desires regular feedback and opportunities for skill growth. Their ideal work environment include coaching sessions, and clear career growth paths without micromanagement. They consider work an opportunity for continuous growth and development and seek mentors to help them on their professional journey.
5) Embracing Entrepreneurship and the Gig Economy: Gen Z is interested in entrepreneurship and freelancing. They are at ease with the gig economy, appreciating the independence and liberty it provides. Gen Z isn't hesitant to take risks and forge their own paths, embracing technology and digital platforms to open up new doors for themselves.
Gen Z is ushering in a transformative shift in workplace culture, deviating from the previous generations' work norms. It's not that they "don't want to work" as many people in older generations are claiming these days. They just want a more holistic approach to work. Their emphasis on work-life balance, purpose-driven professions, flexibility, and continual advancement calls into question the existing quo and forces companies to adapt. Companies that recognize and embrace the values of this younger generation will be more likely to attract and retain great personnel in the coming years. As Generation Z continues to impose its spot in the workforce, the future of work will be redefined, emphasizing overall well-being, meaning, and flexibility.
Content Disclaimer: The views & opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of VoiceBox, affiliates, and our partners. We are a nonpartisan platform amplifying youth voices on the topics they are passionate about.